Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 19, 2012

THE GARDEN

For a long time I felt alone and buried beneath a thick covering of suffocating grief.  I accepted this and thought of it as the way I would live the rest of my days.  Eventually, however, the isolation and depression became so oppressive that I began to feel not only listless but restless.  I wanted more.  I needed more.  Not a lot but something more than what I had.  I had lived this way for so long that I wasn't sure I was up to the challenge of trying to make changes.  If it was going to happen then I would have to begin to make changes within myself.  I had told myself this many times but for whatever reason I did nothing to change anything.

At the same time that I began to feel this way, Spring arrived.  I had been asking for a garden for many years.  The first year we moved here, we had a vegetable garden.  A beautiful, bountiful garden.  Then no more.

The white picket fence surrounding the garden is in need of repair and a coat of paint.  The wood around the raised beds had begun to decay.  The beds were overgrown with thick coverings of weeds.  Weeds had grown up in the walkways and a few trees had taken root and grown tall.  The work to restore it seemed too overwhelming.

My husband, Patrick, was still recovering from an extended illness and I had broken my left hand.  I thought another year would past without a garden.  Patrick knew that we both needed something to renew our spirits and give us something, other than ourselves, to think about.  Because of his illness, our financial resources were limited but after some mental deliberation, he decided it would be money well spent to hire someone to fix up the garden for us.  And, my oh my, how it did lift our spirits!  It got us out of the house and into the sunshine and fresh air.


We started seedlings inside the house and watched them sprout and grow.  He purchased plants to set out.  I bought seeds.  Together we put up trellises for the peas and cucumbers to grow up on.  After everything was in, we returned to the garden everyday to see if any of the seeds had broken through the soil.  We knew it would take time but still we walked out together to look.





We also placed a beautiful little Memorial in one corner of the garden for Christian.  On either side of the stone bench, Patrick hung hanging baskets of flowers.  Together we hung a wind chime my Mother had purchased for Christian in a tall rose bush.



While I was sitting in the garden one day, it dawned on me now much my own life paralleled that of a flower bulb or a seed in a neglected garden.  The following composition is the result of those thoughts.

*******************************************************************************

THE GARDEN

For so long I lay hidden in a dark, cold place
Buried deep, deep, deep beneath the ground
Early Spring brought the weight of soggy soil
Rainless, sunbaked Summers
Destroyed any hope of life beyond my grave
Suffocated with decaying leaves in the Fall
Snow blanketed and froze me in the Winter.

I didn't even struggle to be free
I was filled with too much hopelessness
I had no will to fight left in me
I lay there accepting this as my fate.
All the ills that nature could heap upon me
I accepted.

The years past and nothing changed.
I lay there barren, dormant, and alone.
Sleeping, sleeping, sleeping.
Accepting, accepting, accepting.
Wanting nothing, changing nothing.
Existing but just barely.

One day I awoke to find the
Ground shaking all around me
I found myself rolling and tumbling
I lay there waiting to see 
What would happen next.
Shortly steel teeth raked the tumbled soil
And I found myself under a thin blanket 
Of rich, black earth.

Soon others were placed next to me
I couldn't see them but I knew they were there.
Gentle showers of sweet water fell all around
And puddled up before sinking deep
Bathing me in its hydrating moisture.
I felt the sun warming the soil.

Within myself things began to change
Slowly at first and then very quickly
It seemed to me.
Things that had been coiled up
Held in tight
Started to expand and push out
At last breaking through my hard shell.

Life supporting roots shot out
And pulled in the life giving water and nutrients.
I felt myself reaching for the light
I wanted to feel the warm sun.
I spread out my arms to receive
Its warmth.

Each day I grew a little more
Getting stronger and stronger.
After a while I could see
Above the soil line.
I could see my fellow sprouts
So green, so full of light
and life.

I found myself wanting 
To be strong again.
Above my dark grave
The earth was beautiful
And I wanted to grow taller and taller
I reached, I stretched
I pulled myself up and out
The bulb that gave me strength
Beat like a hundred little hearts.


















I was free.  Free at last to breathe.
Part of me would remain
Forever buried beneath the soil
And I knew there would come a time
When conditions would get hard to bear
A time when leaves will fall, 
Snow will bury me beneath
Its icy blanket. 
A time when my strength would wane
And I would coil up tight within myself.

But now I know that Spring will return
The sun will come back and warm me
Gente rain will bath me.
My strength will return and when it does
I will pull myself up and grow tall and strong
My fellow survivors and I will welcome
Each other back with loving, 
Encouraging words and thoughts.

We will feel the sun on our faces
If a strong wind blows, we will bend
But we will not break
We will lean upon each other for support.
The rain may beat us down from time to time
But when it stops we will stand tall
Adversity may slow us down
But it will not stop our growth
Or hold us down for long.

And when others stop and gaze upon us
They will marvel at our ability to survive
Marvel at our resilience.
And they will say amongst themselves
That we are the most beautiful flowers
In all the garden.






3 comments: